Top 10 Organic Skin Care Product Lines
Organic and natural skin care products are really on the rise, making it no surprise that a majority of mainstream food and cosmetic brands are now emphasizing terms like "all-natural" and "organic" on their product labels. But what really makes a skin care product organic? How do you know that you're really using all-natural solutions? Before we name our top 10 picks for today's best organic skin care lines, here's a little key to help you determine how organic your face cream really is:(%) = 100% Organic: as is implied, foods and products labeled as 100% organic must be composed of only organically produced ingredients and created with organic processing aids, with the exception of water and salt.
(US)= USDA Organic: this seal is only given to certified foods and products containing at least 95% organically produced ingredients.
(O) = Made with Organic Ingredients: this phrase can only be applied to foods and products containing at least 70% organically produced ingredients. These products must also identify at least 3 organic ingredients in the label. Additionally, these products aren't legally permitted to display the USDA Organic seal.
As far as the "all-natural" or "natural" labels go, be wary. To this day, these terms have not been clearly defined by the FDA, so they get used quite freely and loosely. Many people are led to believe that a "natural" product only uses ingredients that can be found in nature. However, many "natural" products list chemical and synthetic additives in their labels; even high fructose corn syrup can qualify as "natural" if processed under certain conditions! If you're really looking for eco-friendly, natural skin care products, your best bet is skipping on the “natural” and going straight to the organic.
Other notable green skin care product attributes include labels such as "cruelty-free" or "not tested on animals". Some organic skin care products even come in biodegradable and/or recycled packages and containers, so you can reduce your carbon footprint while you're improving your "faceprint". Many organic products also do away with chemicals and harmful additives such as Paraben, Sodium Lauryl or Lauryl Sulfate, Paraffin, Petrochemicals, synthetic fragrances and chemical preservatives. Commonly used in the majority of skin care products, these substances can contain toxins, skin irritants, and may even coat skin and block pores, resulting in a reverse negative effect on your skin's health.
Without further ado, here are our top picks for organic skin care lines. These providers offer organic products and organic results, without sacrificing luxury and variety in their creations. Many of these skin care companies also donate proceeds to charitable or green foundations, manufacture Fair Trade™ products, and support the use of green production methods in developing their skin care lines.
- (US)Alteya Organics: Originally a family-owned company based in Eastern Europe, Alteya Organics harvests natural roses from Bulgaria's Rose Valley, as well as Bulgarian lavender, to make their products. Alteya Organics now ships their USDA Organic skin care and beauty products all over the world. Their certified organic skin care line includes lavender and rose aromatherapeutic body butters, lip balms, essential oils, flower waters, and the Bio Damascena™ Nourishing Face Serum and Restoring Eye Serum.
- (US)(O)BeeCeuticals Organics: BeeCeuticals started out as a line of natural treatments and salves designed for holistic medicinal uses. Quickly evolving into a skin care and wellness line that focuses on the cosmetic and therapeutic benefits of bee-derived products, BeeCeuticals features facial cleansers, skin creams, shampoos and conditioners made with organic ingredients. They also provide Certified USDA Organic products, such as lip balms and their popular Bee-yond Body Balm™, which uses Fair Trade Certified™ Organic cocoa butter and BeeCeuticals' Organic Holistic Honey Blend™.
- (US)(O)Erbaorganics: An organic skin care line devoted to providing mothers-to-be and babies with healthy, natural, chemical-free skin care products, Erbaorganics donates 15% of their gross sales to the WWO (Worldwide Orphans Fund). For mothers-to-be, Erbaorganics offers a preservative-free Foot & Leg Refresher gel and a Stretch Mark Cream, both containing 85% certified organic ingredients. Certified USDA Organic options for mommies include Massage Oil and a Milk & Oat Bath. For their babies' ultra-sensitive skin, new mothers can use Erbaorganics' echinacea diaper cream, mild baby shampoo, and their gentle body wash with organic lavender and chamomile.
- (US)(O)Juice Beauty: Started by a pair of California women committed to the organic way of life, Juice Beauty features skin care products made with mostly organic ingredients. Products range from facial peels and masks, to acne treatments, to body wash, to lip moisturizers. Juice Beauty's newly launched Certified USDA Organic collection includes their organic lip moisturizer, facial moisture concentrate with cranberry seed and grape seed oils, facial rejuvenating mask, and facial wash with grape and apple juices and sunflower oil; all comprised of at least 95% organic substances.
- (US)Mercola Healthy Skin: Mercola Healthy Skin's product line for skin care features only Certified USDA Organic treatments. Dedicated to improving consumers' complexions through a holistic approach, the Mercola philosophy emphasizes the creation and maintenance of healthy skin through a combination of natural skin products, a healthy diet and healthy living habits. That's why Mercola provides skin care products that are not only at least 95% organic, they are Paraben-free, Sodium Lauryl or Lauryl Sulfate-free, Dioxane-free and Paraffin-free. Their popular skin care line includes Citrus Cleanser, Chamomile Toner, Sea Buckthorn Anti-Aging Serum, Cupuacu Day Moisturizer, Acai Night Moisturizer, and a Sugar Exfoliator.
- (O)Miessence: Miessence™ is a certified organic skin care, hair care and cosmetic line developed by the Australian-based Organic and Natural Enterprise Group (ONEgroup). Miessence creates Australian Certified Organic and Certified USDA Organic skin care products, and covers everything from organic exfoliants and facial cleansers, to organic aftershaves, body washes, mineral masks and blemish solutions.
- (%)(US)Nature's Paradise: Recognized as one of the only skin care manufacturers to exclusively produce Certified USDA Organic products, indeed everything created in Nature's Paradise's “green laboratories” is 95-100% organic and chemical-free. While Nature's Paradise offers a slew of organic body products, their Italy-inspired Gi'ovane facial line focuses on organic anti-aging products. Completely chemical-free, the Gi'ovane organic Foaming Cleanser, Firming Serum & Moisturizer, Clarifying Toner, Firming Eye Cream and Eye Makeup Remover all utilize rare Moroccan Argan Oil, bacteria-fighting agents and antioxidants.
- (US)(O)Origins Organics: Already a popular company in terms of high-end skin care, Origins created an organic product line to cater to consumers wanting completely pure, natural skin care products. Origins Organics includes both Certified USDA Organic products and some products that are composed of between 73-94% organic ingredients. The line's organic skin care products cover consumers' head-to-toe needs, with foaming face wash, nourishing face lotion, lip balm, deodorant, silkening body spritz, hydrating body lotion and body powder. Organic sunflower oil, cocoa and shea butters, aloe leaf and willow bark are some of the beneficial ingredients.
- (%)(US)Terressentials: Terressentials produces nothing but Certified USDA Organic and 100% Organic products. Their organic facial skin care line, Flower Therapy, includes a Detoxifying Facial Cleanser, an Exfoliating Facial Toner, a Daily Renewal Facial Lotion, Replenishing Facial Cream, and a Flower Acid Facial Masque. For ultra-sensitive skin, or for consumers with allergies, Terressentials also has a complete fragrance-free organic skin care line option. Terressentials' Exfoliating Facial Toner has won a 2008 “Beauty with a Conscience” best toner award from Natural Solution Magazine.
- (US)(O)Trillium Organics: Founded and formulated by a former attorney and new mother, and inspired by concepts of holistic medicine and natural skin care, Trillium Organics provides body oils, baby products, body soaps, perfumes, body polish and face polish, all made with mostly organic ingredients like jojoba oil, tea tree oil, lavender oil, shea butter and cocoa butter.
As you can see, there are a plethora of wonderful organic possibilities today for attaining beautiful skin. And with the organic trend still on the upswing, chances are the products and natural innovations will only continue in the future. While organic skin care products are a great way to prevent the signs of aging, and to prevent skin's exposure to irritating chemicals and harmful toxins, sometimes we need something stronger to combat deeper facial wrinkles, age spots, acne scars and other aging skin symptoms.
In combination with your organic skin care regimen, it's possible to combat more intense skin imperfections with non-invasive, safe cosmetic procedures such as chemical peels, Microdermabrasion, and laser skin treatments like IPL Photofacial and fractional laser resurfacing. These non-invasive options in dermabrasion and laser therapy might just give your skin the added boost it needs to keep your skin looking as young and “organic” as you feel while using your natural skin care line!
If you're interested in learning more about these effective, non-surgical skin rejuvenation treatments, which can wonderfully complement your new organic skin, it's best to discuss your options with a cosmetic skin care provider near you.
Related ArticlesAcne Treatment All-Stars: Epiduo vs Proactiv Solution
AngelLift DermaStrips Review
At-Home Laser Wrinkle Removal
At-Home Product Review: Dermaflage Topical Dermal Filler
Avita ReCell: Product Review
Beauty Beware: History’s 4 Most Dangerous Cosmetics
Best Facial Cleansing Cloths
Boscia Luminizing Black Mask: Product Review
Brazilian Peel Review: At-Home Skin Rejuvenation
Bremenn Research Labs Hylexin: Product Review
Choosing the Right Sunscreen for You
Clarisonic Opal Sonic Infusion System: Product Review
Cle De Peau Beaute Releasing World’s Most Expensive Skin Cream
Clinique 7 Day Scrub Cream Rinse-Off Formula: Review
Dangers of Skin Lightening Creams
Derma Smart: Clothes for Dry Skin?
Dermadoctor MED e TATE: Product Review
Dr. Zein Obagi’s OZ Skin Health Review
ELASTIderm Décolletage System: Best of the Bust
Eyelash Extensions: LATISSE vs Xtreme Lashes
FDA Approves Epiduo Acne Treatment
From Lotions to Butter: Knowing Your Moisturizers
Kojic Acid and Skin Brightners Review
Levia Review: At-Home Psoriasis Treatment
Lumie Clear Review: Light Therapy for Acne
Lumixyl: Skin Brightening Breakthrough?
Macho Makeup: Top 5 Makeup Products for Men
Microskin Technology Offers Hope for Rosacea, Vitiligo Sufferers
Neem Oil: Nixing Oily Skin & Acne
New TRIA Blue Light Device Targets Acne
Newa Review: At-Home Skin Rejuvenation and Wrinkle Treatment
No7 Protect and Perfect: The Secret to Skin Perfection?
NuFACE Review: At-Home Electronic Skin Rejuvenator
PaloVia Review: FDA Approves At Home Wrinkle Removal Laser
Philosophy The Microdelivery Peel Pads: Product Review
Product Review: Biore Ultra Deep Cleansing Pore Strips
Product Review: DDF Revolve 400x Micro-Polishing System
Review: HylaSponge System from 3Rx Skin Therapy
Revitol Cellulite Solution Review
Review: Claro IPL Acne Clearing Device
Review: Proactiv Dark Spot Corrector
Rodan & Fields Anti-Age AMP MD: Product Review
Sephora Collection Extractor With Lance: Product Review
St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse: Product Review
Stretch Mark Cream Review: Strivectin-SD
Tanda Skin Rejuvenation Review: At-Home Systems Earns FDA Approval
10 Best Skincare Products Under $10
Top 5 Non-Surgical Facelift Creams
Top 5 Over-the-Counter Acne Treatments
Top 5 Pore Reducing Products
Top 5 Stretch Mark Removal Creams
Top 10 Acne Treatments of 2009
Top 10 Cosmetic Products for 2010
Top 10 Home Beauty Devices for 2011
Top 10 Makeup Removers
Top Ten Male Skin Care Products
Top 10 Organic Skin Care Product Lines
Top 10 Self Tanning Products
Top 10 Vegan Skin Care Products
Tri-Luma® Cream for Melasma
TRIA: Is At-Home Laser Hair Removal Right for Me?
The Truth About Stretch Mark Creams
The Truth About Tan Jabs
What Is Your Make-up Doing to Your Skin?: Choosing the Best Cosmetics