Upper Lip Hair Removal Tips
Unwanted facial hair can be a real problem to men and women alike. There are many options for getting rid of the hair, but many are temporary and some are downright painful. If you are looking for a way to kiss that unwanted facial lip hair goodbye once and for all, check out these tips to give you a smoother, hair-free complexion.
Understanding the Reasons
The first step to getting rid of hair on the upper lip is to understand why it grows in the first place. There are many possible reasons facial hair develops, including:
- Origin – those of Middle Eastern, European or Mediterranean descent often experience more problems with upper lip hair
- Hormonal Imbalances – or an acute sensitivity to male hormones
- Medical Conditions – such as polycystic ovarian syndrome and congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- Medications – such as Dilantin, used to treat epilepsy
Understanding the cause of facial hair may help you eliminate it. For example, when patients are able to switch medications or effectively treat medical conditions, the facial hair issue may lessen on its own. However, for those who cannot treat unwanted facial hair at this level, other options are available.
Weighing the Options
There are numerous options in getting rid of facial hair today. From home treatments to laser procedures done in doctors' offices, it is important to do your homework to find the best treatment options for your individual needs. Some of the most popular methods for upper lip hair removal include:
- Tweezing – This tried and true method is one that can easily be done at home. However, there is the "ouch" factor to consider, as well as the tediousness of the procedure. On average, tweezing must be repeated about every month to maintain results.
- Waxing and Sugaring – Each of these methods involve applying a solution to the area and then pulling it off, taking the unwanted hairs with it. Sugaring has become preferable to waxing for many, because it uses all natural ingredients and does not have to reach a hot temperature to be applied. This means less discomfort and potential damage to the skin. However, this technique can also be painful, and the hair will grow back within a month to six weeks.
- Threading – Threading originated in Eastern countries and has been used for centuries in some cultures. The precision and speed of the technique is growing its popularity in western countries like the U.S. as well. Threading involves using a cotton thread to pull out unwanted hair as it rolls across the surface of the skin. While this technique is quick and effective, it is very difficult to find someone experienced in the procedure in this country.
- Electrolysis – This technique has been around for some time and continues to be used due to the permanence of the procedure. However, electrolysis is quite uncomfortable and tedious. The cost is also a deterrent to many.
While these traditional methods continue to be used by many individuals today, there is another technique that can be done quickly in a doctor's office and has been touted as a nearly permanent solution to unwanted hair.
Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is relatively new but is quickly gaining popularity, due to its long-term effectiveness with minimal discomfort involved. In some cases, laser hair removal can become a permanent solution to unwanted hair on the upper lip, since damaged follicles often stop growing new hair. Some of the benefits of laser hair removal include:
- Laser hair removal sessions are quick, with treatments for facial hair lasting under an hour
- The procedure is relatively painless, since a numbing solution can be applied prior to treatment
- Results are long lasting, with less facial hair overall
- Fewer sessions are needed than with other types of hair removal techniques
- Because fewer sessions are needed, the cost is also reduced
For best results, choose a licensed specialist experienced in treating unwanted facial hair with this procedure. Treatments are generally repeated every four to eight weeks, with most patients needing an average of three sessions to achieve desired results. Touch-up procedures once or twice a year may be needed to maintain results.
Getting rid of unwanted facial hair on the upper lip is a lot easier today, with so many good techniques to choose from. To learn more about whether permanent hair removal might work for you, contact us today and arrange your free consultation with a laser hair removal provider in your area.
Laser Hair Removal Information
Am I a Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
Laser Hair Removal Cost
Laser Hair Removal: Painful or Pleasant?
Permanent Hair Removal
TRIA: Is At-Home Laser Hair Removal Right for Me?
Unwanted Hair Removal
Upper Lip Hair Removal Tips